A former duPont family estate, the mansion was built by Philadelphia businessman, Hanson Robinson in the 1850s. Robinson named the property Woolton Hall. William duPont, Sr. purchased the estate in 1883. He acquired two adjacent properties, increased the size, and added barns, stables and other buildings associated with his equestrian interests. In 1928, William duPont, Jr. inherited Woolton Hall and spent the next several years remodeling the mansion and property, adding tennis courts, a swimming pool and indoor horse training facilities.