Volunteer Hosting Program
Contact: Glen Stubbolo
89 Kings Hwy., Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 739-9193
Fax: (302) 739-3817
Living History Host
Printable copy of this page
Bring history to life! Assist a living history program as a tour guide or costumed character at a WWII gun battery or historic turn-of-the-century lifesaving station.
Killens Pond State Park
Delaware Seashore State Park
- Greet program participants.
- Distribute safety equipment.
- Load and unload kayaks, paddles and safety equipment from trailer.
- Assist program leader in instruction of proper kayak technique.
- Assist with 2-3 hour kayak tour. Act as sweeper: make certain all participants are together, provide assistance to participants, escort participants with problems to shore.
- Load equipment for transportation.
- Inspect, clean and store equipment. Report any damage or safety issues.
- Answer questions and provide information about other park programs.
- May assist Trip Leader with other interpretive programs.
- Assist with special events.
- Make and report observations and suggestions.
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon.
- Park and Division Recognition Program
- Training Opportunities
- Admission to Park
- Park and staff events
- Special events
- Physically able to perform duties- 2-3 hour kayak trip and render assistance to participants.
- Able to lift 60 pounds from ground to overhead.
- Able to withstand climatic conditions - heat and wet.
- Able to learn and demonstrate proper kayaking technique. Prefer experience of kayaking or canoeing.
- Presents program as instructed by Park Interpreter, Educator or Nature Center Manager.
- Pleasant and personable. Relates well with people.
- Independent and responsible. Able to work in multiple assignment environment.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Able to communicate methods, rules and information effectively with a diverse public.
- Able to speak publicly in front of groups.
- Desire to help provide environmental education and interpretive opportunities.
- Performs duties in compliance with Division and Park Customer Service Guidelines and Safety Guidelines.
24 hours per week (or as scheduled), flexible schedule.
Direct supervision by Park Administrator, Superintendent, Assistant or Manager
The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.