Living History Host
Bring History to life! Assist a living history program as a tour guide or costumed character, recreating a Civil War fort, WWII gun battery, or historic turn-of-the-century lifesaving station.
Cape Henlopen State Park
Fort Delaware State Park
Delaware Seashore State Park
24 hours per week (or as scheduled), flexible schedule.
Direct supervision by Park Administrator, Superintendent, Assistant or Manager
- Other duties as determined by interest and skill.
- Dress in provided period costume as a background character, helping recreate mood of period
- Costumed interpretation in interpretation stations: as assistant or lead character, for station demonstration and visitor participation.
- Research, develop and create character for interpretation station
- Assist with supervision of other volunteer interpreters.
- Assist Nature Center Manager with operation Nature Center
- Assist Nature Center Manager with presentation of general environmental, cultural or historical programs.
- Lead nature/trail walk.
- Maintain tracking of program participants. May complete program report
- Greet program participants. Provide direction and answer questions of program participants.
- Conduct initial orientation for visitors.
- Interact with program participants, answering questions, assisting with activities, and ensuring participation opportunity for all attendees.
- Help gather materials and assist in set up for assigned program. Assist in cleanup from assigned program.
- Cleaning/repair of interpretive areas and materials: sweeping, dusting, polishing period and reproduction interpretive rooms, equipment, furniture and gear.
- Report suggestions and observations.
- Assist with Special Events.
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse public and speak publicly in front of groups or audiences.
- Strong interest in history, some knowledge of historical period and willingness to learn.
- Ability to understand and appreciate the historical context of the program.
- Ability to recreate mood of historical period.
- Professional appearance and demeanor.
- Responsible and trustworthy
- Pleasant and personable, enjoys people
- Independent and responsible
- Presents program as instructed by Park Interpreter, Educator or Nature Center Manager.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Able to assist with both Indoor and Outdoor programs.
- Able to stand for long periods, lift 10 pounds from crouching position, and walk 5 miles
- Attends training.
- Performs duties in compliance with Division and Park Customer Service Guidelines and Safety Guidelines.
- Admission to Park
- Park and Division Recognition Program
- Park and staff events
- Special events
- Training Opportunities
The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and the diversity of its workforce.