Rock Climbing & Rappelling at Alapocas Run
Rock climbing and rappelling are healthy activities for both mind and body. They build muscle strength while improving agility, balance and coordination. And the sense of accomplishment a climber experiences after completing a challenging route is beyond compare. With some basic tips and equipment, rock climbing is an excellent way to experience your Delaware State Parks.
The Bancroft Mills parking is closed due to demolition/construction. Please do not park in the private parking lot, as you will be subject to towing. Parking for the public will be at the 95 parking lot at Brandywine Park which is part of Wilmington State Parks. Google Map Address: 1116 N. Park Drive, Wilmington, DE 19802.
The 95 parking lot is under I-95 and next to the Jasper Crane Rose Garden. Once you park, cross the street and walk up the slope to the Northern Greenway Trail. Take a left to go to the Rock Wall. You will go under 2 bridges and past a meadow on your right. This is a 20-25 minute walk.
Free Rock-Climbing Permit Required
Complete your contact information on the Rock-Climbing Permit and print two copies. Groups planning to rock climb must apply for a Special Use Permit a minimum of 30 days in advance. Call 302-577-1164 for information. Please note: the permit must be signed in the presence of an authorized park employee. Take your copies and photo identification to one of the following locations:
Wilmington State Parks Office
1021 W. 18th Street
Wilmington, DE 19802
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Blue Ball Barn
1914 West Park Drive
Wilmington, DE 19803
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Rock Climbing Regulations
- Climbing is an inherently dangerous activity which includes certain risks, including but not limited to the risk of serious injury or death.
- Rock climbing is allowed only in the area designated and signed for such use. Use the approach to the rock climbing area that is signed as "Rock Climbing Area".
- All climbers must have a climbing permit in their possession while climbing at Alapocas Run State Park Rock Climbing Area. Youth under age 18 must have adult supervision.
- Wilmington State Parks has installed top rope anchors on the rock wall. Utilize the trail to the left of the rock wall to access the top rope anchors.
- Top rope climbing and rappelling are restricted to regular park hours and Division approved and installed anchors.
- The installation, adjustment, or maintenance of any fixed hardware not specifically authorized by the Delaware Divis ion of Parks and Recreation is prohibited. Contact park office (302) 577-7020 if hardware problems are discovered.
- Parking for the rock climbing area is located in the Delaware State Parks parking area on the opposite side of the river. Park inside the designated lot.
- Remember that all Delaware State Parks maintain a "Carry In, Carry Out" policy. Please do your part to keep our climbing resource a clean and safe place to climb.
- To obtain a free climbing permit bring a photo ID to one of the following locations. Permits are available online. Permits must be signed in the presence of an authorized park employee.