The Cleaver House sits at the intersection of Market and Congress Streets in the quiet town of Port Penn near the Delaware River and the Augustine Wildlife Area. The structure is named for the Cleaver family who owned the house and ushered in a time of great development and progress for the town. Built circa 1834, the home operated as the family’s residence as well as their general store. The brick, three-story mansion was in the Cleaver family for over a century and served as the family home, place of business and central location for the town.
Several modifications were added to the structure over time, but those additions have since been removed, leaving the house in its original footprint. Despite the passing of time, this home maintains its 19th century charm including custom fixtures and spacious rooms. Looking out the backdoor, one can observe the thriving wildlife along the Delaware River.